Wednesday 27 March 2013

Fields & Asphalt

July in Linden, AB
No matter how much I love living in Vancouver, part of me will always be a country girl. I go through very regular cycles of homesickness. I miss my family, my oldest friends, the uncomplicated and less stress-filled life...but I also know that I am exactly where I need to be right now. Typically these cycles coincide with the seasons; July in Alberta is unmatched in beauty, though "winters" in Vancouver are much more tolerable than those in the prairies. I am a summer baby and I find that I so often spend my time yearning for muggy hot summer, that I forget that Spring is probably my favorite season of all, even in the city. Spring has always brought change and upheaval to my life. A year ago I unexpectedly moved to Vancouver and started my life over from scratch. I can't believe how fast that year has gone by! Deciding to move on was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Now, a year later, as Spring unfolds yet again, I feel  that rush and anticipation for what this year may bring. Spring, in my world, is the beginning of the new year; the world feels refreshed and reset, and just as eager as I am to get on with it.

I live in a particularly magical area of Vancouver, and as I was out for a morning stroll today, there was an unmistakably lightness that reminded me of home. Perhaps it was the sweetness in the air from the dewy grass and blooming trees, or just the particular warmth of the sun--I was suddenly transported back to lilac and crocus lined coulees of Linden, Alberta. I must admit that I generally find the bright colours of spring blooms like tulips and daffodils tacky (I am more of a foliage girl after all). But with the cherry and magnolia trees beginning to bloom, garish spring blooms just fade into the background. 

I just wanted to take a moment this morning to share my love of Spring with you, and I hope that as you go about your week, you too feel recharged and enjoy the simple pleasures of the season. 



Hellebore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment