Sunday 3 March 2013

Work & Play

I am fortunate to have not one, but two jobs that I really enjoy. I suppose I work too much, but at least I have two jobs that keep me happy and growing; JJ Bean serves my coffee addiction and 
Southlands 
has brought so many amazing people into my life, while Southlands Nursery fuels my imagination and creativity. I get most of my plants and supplies from the Nursery, and although I may be somewhat partial, I honestly believe that Southlands is the best local Nursery in the Vancouver area. I regularly visited Southlands long before I even moved into Vancouver; Southlands stocks most of the hard-to-find and exotic plants that I had been looking for, and it always provided a lovely experience walking the grounds and dreaming of what could be. I have learned so much about gardening in the year that I've been working at the Nursery. In fact, I strongly believe that had I not started working at the Nursery, I would never have made a single terrarium! But fortunately for me, the guys at the Nursery encourage me to indulge my gardening creativity, regardless of how ridiculous it may seem (I live in "zonal denial," meaning I garden like I live in the warmer climes--things die, I cry, and I try it again). 

Southlands
Sunday mornings at Southlands are probably when I feel most inspired. The Nursery is at its quietest then and when the sun is shining as it was today, it is probably one of the most beautiful and tranquil places in the entire city. Even though the gardening season is only just really beginning, the shop feels rejuvenated and refreshed. I mean, on mornings like today, when the air is fresh and crisp and the plants seemingly luminous, it is hard to remember any of life's stresses. Before I started today, I managed to snap some pictures of the Nursery; it was positively 
radiant! Two days of deluge can really make one appreciate the sunny moments! Enjoy, and be inspired! 




Tillandsia Table! My obsession!

Phaleonopsis' and Pitcher Plants

Orchids and bromeliads

Clivias, dracenas, and tropicals

My favourite view in the whole store 
Achemea

Bromeliad 

Loving the tropical tones to this clivia!

Bromeliad guzmanias and beautiful ochre Vietri

Tillandsias

Phaleonopsis var. 
Beautiful lemon toned mini Phaleonopsis 


"Adam's Needle" Yucca 
Sexiest plant in house right now! Yucca aleoifola "Pupura"

Hellebore

Tropical tones to this hellebore

Love the deep purple velvet tone to this hellebore. 

A Thomas Hobbs cymbidium hybrid! Smells like cinnamon. Love!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely!!! ps: mad want one of those yucca aloifolia purpurea!!!

    ReplyDelete