Thursday 3 October 2013

Updates & Adventures

My laptop, one of my most cherished belongings that got me through all those undergrad papers and into life beyond post-secondary, has died. Hence why there has been no posting in quite some time. But I am back! On a temporary computer that I can't upload my pictures to unless they are taken on a phone and emailed to me. Ah technology....

Huge pots of my beloved pitcher plants.

Life has been pretty busy! I have a new roommate, I have been painting my house, I started a new job on top of working full time for JJ Bean, and am still making terrariums! I love it, but I do miss the Nursery and being in the garden all the time. I have plenty of pictures of my recent work for you, but alas, computer problems.

As business has started to pick up, I am happy to announce that I can now accept all major credit cards through PayPal! This will hopefully make things easier for my customers, especially as the holiday season creeps ever so much closer....

Speaking of the holidays, I am now taking orders for the Christmas season! It seems early, but holiday parties start only a few weeks from now and a terrarium, big or small, is perfect for the holiday table or a hostess gift! I have some exciting plans for holiday goodies, including (hopefully) a product line collaboration with my incredibly talented plant-soul mate/BFF over at Parallel 49 Palms and Exotics. I shall keep you posted, but trust me, this is very exciting! 
One of these almost came home in my bag...but it was too big.

But for now, as autumn only just sets in, I think I'll share some of my pictures from my recent visit to Van Dusen Botanical Gardens, which is located just between Oak and Granville on 37th. It is one of the two great botanical gardens in Vancouver, tho other being the severely under-rated and under appreciated Bloedel Conservatory. I have been to their amazing plant sale and toured the gardens before, but it was quite enchanting to wander about on the first day of Autumn and take in their Touch Wood exhibit.The gardens themselves are always worth the trip, but it was quite interesting to see all the wood sculptures scattered about. I loved the Fern Dell most of all, and the presence of the white-washed abstracted humanoid sculptures gave it this fantastic eerie/sacred vibe. 

But of course, I am always drawn to the colours and textures and over-the-top showmanship of tropicals and plants that would never happily survive on their own in Vancouver without serious tender loving care. 


These bananas were huge! Too bad red leafed bananas are not hardy here...

Brugmansia/datura flower, deadly but lovely. And the fragrance!

Such beautiful agaves, so big too!

Such a cute flower! And the perfect colouring for the first day of Autumn.

1 comment:

  1. It has been too long since I've been out that way! Those agaves are sick! I love it! You should check out some of the carnivorous plants at phoenix right now. It's insane!

    btw... exciting stuff indeed

    ReplyDelete