Friday 8 February 2013

Imagination & Inspiration Part I: A Gallery

I love making each and every terrarium that leaves my house. What began as a bit of a hobby has somehow turned into a bit of a side-business that keeps me fairly busy and out of trouble. I thought I'd put a few pictures up of some of the arrangements I've done so far, along with a bit of an description of the plants themselves. As much as I'd love the opportunity to make a terrarium for everyone, I also want to encourage people to try their hand it. I want to encourage creativity and imagination; I want to inspire others to get the same thrill out of gardening as I do.

The Bean

The Bean 

Oh the Bean, the terrarium that started it all. I made this terrarium for the coffee shop I work at (JJ Bean, best coffee in VanCity!). Our condiment stand was looking a little forlorn  so I thought I'd liven it up with a terrarium. It turned out great and has been great advertising for me; everyone loves it! It's a simple arrangement of tropicals, succulents, and tillandsias, but it has this fantastic island-like feel to it. Maybe it is the mix of palms and diefenbachia, or maybe it is the way the succulents and tillandsias add a dreamy aquatic feel to the vessel... Either way, it turned out great. This style of terrarium requires little watering as it is semi-enclosed; you don't want to keep it too moist or you'll have rotting succulents and mould. It likes a bright home, though it's worth the risk in a place of average brightness. The only risk is that succulents might suffer, but it is always worth experimenting with light tolerances of succulents: sometimes they can be similarly happy in moderate brightness as they are in the greenhouse. The probably won't flower, but even if they do die, the do so gracefully over a long period of time. 

The AK2

The AK2

This was my first experiment with an orchid. Normally orchids intimidate me, but not so in this case. I think one of my favorite things about this arrangement is the way the foliage of the orchid plays coy, almost like it is bashfully covering itself. The palm adds more of a lush tropical feel, and the variegated foliage of the other tropicals just adds so much colour to the vase. And of course, the little rubra on a lichen and moss covered stick to compliment the colours of the phaleanopsis. I added some blooming acacia sticks and curly willow for structure; these are purely aesthetic as they eventually dry out and can be removed,but the planting can be enjoyed for much longer. This style of terrarium average watering (don't let the orchid dry out, but don't keep it too wet either) requires a bright home. 

The Calzone

The Calzone

I L.O.V.E. this xericscape-style terrarium. It looks like a reef, which is ironic because none of these plants like water very much. A little cacti, sansevieria, haworthia, tillandsia medusae, kalanchoe, echevaria, and various other succulents make up this arrangement. This style of planting takes so little care (maybe a 1/4 of water every two weeks, depending on how dry the environment is) that it is perfect for the office, or people who kill plants.This style of terrarium requires a bright home.





No comments:

Post a Comment